Thursday, March 10, 2011

Me against the 'Mill

I just came home from the gym where I rocked out a 5km run after a very heavy meat and potatoes meal.  Not the best idea, but I was hungry, it was raining, it was foggy...the excuses go on.

Anyway, that's not the point. The point is, last week when I ran the treadmill I managed to eeek out 5km in 40 mins. Now according to my training schedule, I was do go slow...I was perfectly in the right to take it easy. However, listed for my PR for 5k is under 30mins. Why should a treadmill run take so long and...the worse part...feel really difficult too.

So tonight I started it out at the same pace as last week, then something happened. I just wanted to get out of there. I wasn't into the treadmill, I wasn't into staring the window in front of me (seeing my reflection bopping up and down is not appealing to me), I wasn't even into my music...I need new tunes.
All this caused me to keep pushing the speed button after every song. I was up to a 8:53min/mile pace by the end. And I have nooo idea what that is in my min/km pace that I'm used to following. I have to Google that.

What I did learn tonight was that I have been wimping out on the treadmill. No wonder it hurts, I'm running toooo sloooowww. I can't seem to relate my road pace with my 'mill pace. I realized tonight that I am capable of going much faster than I thought...I just might not always be willing to put in the effort.

Although I didn't "PR" my treadmill run, I finished strong and got the heck outta there.

Have I told you how I can't wait for nice weather and the time to change??? Please, please, please...someone remind me of this when I start complaining about the heat in August!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Goodness! Talk about the definition of a Dreadmill. I hope the weather turns for you soon. You'll PR your 'mill run soon!