Well, six months later the excitement is nowhere to be found. It seems to have melted into the humidity. I was originally thinking that this year would be when I finally tackled the half marathon. After successfully training and running a 10 miler I know that I can do the 13.1 miler...it's just I don't know if I want to.
|All smiles after 10 miles...seems sooo long ago!|
I keep flip-flopping on this subject that even I'm sick of it. The thing is I am now 11 weeks away from the race I want to do, so it's do or die...kinda. Not to be overly dramatic but I should really commit to this thing to allow for the best training possible. Considering the lousy 5K I just ran tonight, I'm going to need as much time to train as possible. I have seriously decreased my distance and now 5Ks are about all I can (or want) to manage. I do tend to intervals while running them, but still, the distance isn't there.
PROS of running a half marathon in September:
- Great time of year (not too hot not too cold...juussst right)
- Great race (the Run for the Grapes is a tradition in my hometown and I've never toed the line at the half)
- Great friends (I might be able to convince a few friends to join me...you know who you are!!)
- Great goal (accomplishing a 1/2 is a great motivator to get my butt back in gear)
- Get it done (cross that baby off my list)
CONS of running a half marathon in September:
- It's a HALF MARATHON!!! (that's just crazy... that's 21.1 kms kids)
- The training (the long lonely runs, the training committment, the loss family time in the summer)
- The training (it's hard..I have to say it twice)
- The support (or lack there of, I'm worried about doing this without a coach and no kick in the pants)
- The timing (as I mentioned above, it's only 11 weeks away...am I pushing it?)
- The nerve! (seriously, this sciatic nerve thing could flare up again, right now it's under minimal control)
Thoughts? Suggestions? Advice? I know a lot of you ladies have experience with this so give me your best.
To run a half or not to run?...that is the question.